Here in the Northeast, the days have gotten short awfully quickly. It is not unusual to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Mix that in with gray skies and no green/leaves on the trees and it is easy to slide into a funk.
Here are a couple of tips to help avoid the winter blues:
- Accept winter for what it is and get out there and do something fun…the big thing around here is paddle…me I am dying to try curling.
- Dress in bright colors. Who said we have to go all drab? Bust out the pastels, but please do us all a favor…those white pants weren’t working before Labor Day, nevermind after it…:)
- Exercise, Exercise, Exercise…you simply can’t do enough of it. Get out, get in, get moving. Like to skiing, walking with snow shoes or hitting the elliptical will help fight off the blues.
- Have friends over the house….nothing beats the blues like socializing. Try this, get an outdoor fire pit, start a fire and invite people over to make smores…trust me there will be smiles everywhere.
- Consider getting a chiropractic adjustment, what did you think I was going to recommend??? There are promising case studies out there linking the adjustment to better moods.
Lastly, make sure you are supplementing with Vitamin D. The chief source of vitamin D is sunlight and when that goes away we can become deficient very quickly.
How do you fight the winter blues, please comment below.